Welcome to round two of Bridget Bites Kindly Kate! Today she tackled vegan salmon for me. I honestly did not know this was possible, and she totally blew my mind with this one. I hope you guys enjoy :) To reach Kate she is at kindly-kate.com and @bykindlykate - and please reach out via AMA with any more suggestions or leave them in the comment section!
Vegan Smoked Salmon/Carrot Lox
4 medium carrots
1/2 tbsp salt
For the marinade
1/4 cup warm ater
1/4 cup low sodium tamari
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1 sheet toasted nori (seaweed) cut into fine strips or blended until fine
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove stems & wash the carrots throughly.
3. Place them on a baking sheet with lined parchment paper or a silicone mat.
4. Sprinkle them generously with salt while still wet so the salt sticks to the carrots.
5. Bake for 1.5 hours.
6. When the carrots are finished baking, set them aside to cool. Now would be a good time to whip up your marinade. Simply combine all the ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.
7. When the carrots are finished cooling, use a small paring knife to gently cut the carrots into thin strips, the thinner you make them, the better texture you will achieve. Don’t worry about it being perfect!
8. When the carrots are all cut, add them to a jar or other sealable container, pour over the marinade and give them a good stir to ensure all the carrots are covered. Let the carrots marinate for at least 24 hours, I left mine for 36 hours and they came out perfectly! You may want to give them a toss every so often to ensure that all the carrots are getting their fair share of the marinade!
9. Use them to top salads, eat on top on bread with cream cheese, or do like I did and eat them straight out of the jar for a healthy veggie snack.
Now at the end of the day, these are carrots, I don’t think the goal here was to fool anyone entirely, but they definitely have a similar flavor profile, and mouth feel to smoked salmon, plus they are pretty damn delicious if you ask me. I kept sneaking pieces out of the jar as they were marinating, which is a good sign they are pretty addicting! So perfectly salty, rich in flavor, and they have that melt in your mouth texture, like smoked salmon! Also, I recommend using the leftover marinade in a stir fry or simply tossing some asian noodles and your fave veggies in it… so good! Oh and for the cream cheese I highly recommend using kite hill cream cheese, its the best vegan cream cheese I’ve tried and it ingredient list is super clean! The chive is my favorite, especially paired with this smoked “salmon”.
I love receiving your comments! - and if you have any specific questions don’t forget to ‘Ask Me Anything’ via the link here.
THANKS SO MUCH